Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Can She Bake a Cherry Pie, Charming Billy?

When I was around 3 years old, I loved to sing. Love Love Love! I sang along with so many songs on the record player that we had, a Victrola, a tall piece of furniture that had a radio (AM-no FM in those days) in the top and a record player in the bottom. The record player had a turntable on which one placed a 78 rpm (revolutions per minute) black vinyl record (hard plastic which broke easily if you dropped it). Then you turned on the turntable which began to turn (hence the name) and you VERY CAREFULLY placed the arm which held the diamond needle of the record player onto the first groove of the record and then the record would play. The needle would play along the grooves cut into the record and the sound would come out through the speakers. That's basically how it went.
Well, I actually knew how to operate this machine at age 3 all by myself and I didn't drop the needle onto the record, which would have made the needle blunt and dull and chipped the record. I was a very careful child and I loved our records. I especially loved "Billy Boy," the folk song that the Rudder Middle School Intermediate Girls' Choir sang at the end of February 2010 in a concert we attended. Cassie was singing with the Advanced Choir, but I nearly fell out of my chair when the other choir began to sing this folk song, my favorite song from long, long ago.
The song is basically about a boy, Billy, who has met a girl and his friends are asking him questions about her and he responds, but each time adds sadly, "But she's a young thing and cannot leave her mother." The verse I most remember from my childhood is: "Can she bake a cherry pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy? Can she bake a cherry pie, charming Billy?" She can bake a cherry pie. There's a twinkle in her eye, but she's a young thing and cannot leave her mother." I think that's the verse I remember so well because I loved cherry pie with whipped cream on top (oh, to have a nice thick, warm slice of my grandmother's right now....). My mom's wasn't so great; her pies were always too thin in the filling department and she worked the crust too much, so it was always tough.
But Grandma Samson's pies.... I can imagine Great-Grandpapa Samson and my Grandfather's brother's saying to my Grandfather when he met my Grandmother: "Can she bake a cherry pie, Johnny Boy, Johny Boy?" And I'll bet he answered the same as the words in the song. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment